Your outfit’s on point, your hair’s looking great, and your skin is glowing, there’s just one more thing that you need to really make your outfit pop and that’s pearly white teeth. Nowadays it’s now cheaper and easier than ever to whiten your teeth at home. But it’s worth remembering that these kits can potentially make your teeth more sensitive. So if you’re worried about side effects it is worth checking with your dentist beforehand. Here are some of our top picks for the best teeth whitening kits we’ve found to keep your pearly whites exactly that.
Top 10 best teeth whitening kits in the UK
From teeth whitening strips to charcoal toothpastes and LED lights, here are the best teeth whitening kits to prep your smile for your wedding snaps.
1. Colgate Max White Expert Complete Whitening
Colgate Max White Expert Complete is the only whitening toothpaste that is both deep and instant. It is expertly designed to reverse years of yellowing and provide an immediate whitening effect day after day. Its unique dual-action formula contains the same whitening ingredient used by dentists to remove deep-set stains, as well as an Advanced Brighteners SystemTM that has been clinically proven to make your teeth appear instantly whiter by reflecting blue light. It’s the beauty secret that works, and you’ll want to tell everyone about it.
2. Curaprox Black is White Charcoal Toothpaste
Activated charcoal products are well-known for their ability to whiten teeth. This ingredient aids Black is White in achieving some stain removal results for some users. However, it is more than just stain removal; overall dental health also plays a role.
This paste is suitable for everyday use and can be integrated into your routine with greater ease and less concern than some other activated charcoal products. It is also more manageable and less messy because it is a paste rather than a powder. Curaprox commands a premium that, to be honest, is difficult to justify when a regular tube of toothpaste is just as good and much cheaper.
3. iWhite Instant 2 Teeth Whitening Kit
This simple kit comes with pre-filled gels, so there is no mess or confusion. The set includes ten trays that claim to remove stains and strengthen your teeth. The manufacturer suggests using it for five days in a row. However, you can use it once in a while for a boost. For best results, each tray should be worn for no more than 20 minutes per day. We like how simple and quick the results are!
4. Activated Charcoal Natural Teeth Whitening Powder
Activated charcoal is a fine-grained black powder made from natural ingredients such as coconut shells, olive pits, slowly burned wood, and peat. When the powder is oxidised at high temperatures, it becomes activated. Activated charcoal is extremely porous and adsorbent. It has a large surface area as well.
Unlike absorbent substances, the adsorbent nature of activated charcoal allows it to bind to toxins and odours rather than soaking (absorbing) them up. Activated charcoal is not to be confused with the charcoal used for grilling. Although similar, barbeque charcoal is designed to be used as a fuel and emits carbon dioxide when heated. It has the potential to cause cancer. Activated charcoal, on the other hand, is free of these toxins.
5. Mr Blanc Teeth Whitening Strips
When it comes to whitening your teeth, you have several options, but they can be broadly divided into two categories: professional whitening treatments from a dentist and home whitening solutions. Mr Blanc strips are the latter, and they are a popular choice among those who cannot afford to spend hundreds of pounds on a dental visit.
Since 2015, the product has been available in the United Kingdom. Mr Blanc teeth whitening strips have a long history of sales and positive feedback. The kit you purchase includes 14 sets of strips. Each set contains two strips, one for each row of your teeth. The strips are pre-loaded with a gel that is intended to whiten your teeth.
6. Billion Dollar Smile Strips
Because of advancements in teeth whitening strip design, they are the ideal format for whitening your teeth at home. These ultra-thin mint-flavored strips begin to whiten teeth immediately upon contact, dissolving stains to reveal a whiter, brighter smile. To reveal a whiter smile, simply apply the non-peroxide whitening strips to your upper and lower teeth for 15-30 minutes daily. The Billon Dollar Smile Strips are coated with a minty fresh non-peroxide whitening gel, making at-home whitening simple, safe, and effective.
7. Pro Teeth Whitening Co. premium dental whitening strips
We were sceptical at first that any strips could significantly whiten your teeth, but we were proven wrong. After ensuring that your teeth are as dry as possible, apply the two strips to your upper and lower teeth and wait 30 minutes before removing and cleaning any residue. While they were uncomfortable for a few minutes, the time flew by and we were able to go about our evening with ease.
Our teeth looked whiter after a week than they had in years, and the effects only improved over the course of the 14-day treatment. By the end of it, our tester had even made a friend who had previously undergone professional whitening jealous. The secret ingredient here is activated charcoal, which is also free of peroxide.
8. Regenerate enamel science advanced toothpaste
The Regenerate Enamel Science Advanced Toothpaste will revolutionise your dental hygiene. The Regenerate toothpaste effectively recreates the mineral that tooth enamel is made of, working to reverse the early erosion process and protect against cavities, acid, and decay. It uses clinically proven, patented NR-5TM technology based on years of extensive research.
The distinctively dense enamel toothpaste is designed for daily use and contains a high concentration of ingredients that work together to generate a fresh supply of enamel mineral each time you brush, which integrates onto the surface layer of teeth to help rebuild and repair with continued use.
9. Kiki Health activated charcoal powder
Whether used internally or externally, Kiki Health’s Activated Charcoal Powder provides numerous benefits. This pharmaceutical grade formulation is made entirely of natural ingredients, including sustainable coconut shells that have been steam-purified to remove any contaminants.
When taken orally, it reduces excessive intestinal gas accumulation, providing natural relief from bloating and flatulence, as well as absorbing toxins before they reach the bloodstream – making it ideal after a night of drinking or eating fast food. It is a natural teeth whitener that can be used on a wet toothbrush to brighten your pearly whites and on skin and hair to absorb excess oil and contaminants.
10. Janina Ultrawhite Whitening Toothpaste
Janina Ultra White Toothpaste contains a blend of natural enzymes that whiten teeth without the use of harsh abrasives. It is suitable for daily use and should be used before and after other teeth whitening treatments to maintain the health of your mouth. It also removes stubborn coffee, tea, and red wine stains, resulting in noticeably whiter teeth.
How to choose the best teeth whitening kit
What kinds of teeth whitening kits are available?
1. Whitening strips: These easy-to-use adhesive strips contain a whitening gel that you stick to the surface of your teeth, usually for around half-an-hour, sometimes longer – a process that needs to be repeated daily for a set amount of time, generally around a fortnight.
2. Whitening toothpastes: These work harder than regular toothpastes to remove stains and plaque. To achieve this, they may contain a mild abrasive or bleaching agent, while others contain activated carbon. You can use them in conjunction with other home kits.
3. Home bleaching kit: These can look horribly complicated, but a good kit will have a comprehensive user manual to guide you through the steps, which basically involve dipping the moulds into boiling water before fitting them onto your teeth (a bit like a mouth guard). You then add the whitening gel into the tray, which you insert against your teeth. They give you quick results.
4. Custom lightening trays: This is the type of kit that dentists are most likely to recommend, but you will need to work with them so they can mould your tray specifically for your teeth and show you how to apply the gel and tray at home. If you want to work with a professional and are prepared to spend a bit more, but can’t afford laser or LED treatment, this will get you the best results of all the kits listed here.
5. Pre-made tray: This is the poor man’s version of the custom lightening tray – in that the process is the same, but the tray isn’t fitted to the exact shape of your mouth. Provided you can cover the entire surface area of your teeth with your tray, it’s a good compromise. If your teeth are a little crooked though, you may not get an even result.
6. LED gel kit: The LED teeth whitening light won’t make your teeth whiter, but it will accelerate the teeth whitening gel and make it more effective at breaking down tough stains. If you don’t have the custom-made tray created to your exact mouth shape, then the LED light is good for reducing the amount of time the gel has to stay in your mouth.
7. Teeth whitening pen: This kit contains a thin, plastic tube containing whitening gel and is small enough to keep in your handbag or even your pocket, making it highly transportable. It’s good for touch-ups and hard-to-reach places.
Do teeth whitening kits actually work? The answer is yes – as long as you don’t expect immediate results. Home whitening kits are a cost-effective and convenient way to whiten your teeth. Although individual results vary, it is possible to lighten your teeth several shades in a week or two. Because safety is a concern with at-home teeth whitening, we recommend that you select a product manufactured in a country that strictly regulates whitening products, such as the United Kingdom, the United States, or the European Union.